Most bylaw enforcement issues are related to land use or building bylaw matters. The Peace River Regional District acts only when concerns are raised and brought to our attention in writing.
When a concern is brought forward, the matter is investigated with staff and the Electoral Area Director. All efforts are made to resolve issues before the Regional Board is asked to consider enforcement action. Where an issue cannot be resolved the Regional Board may seek legal remedies such as court fines or court injunctions.
If you observe a situation that you feel is not in keeping with Regional District regulations telephone our staff to discuss the matter.
Peace River Regional District Bylaw Notice Enforcement Bylaw No. 2042, 2012:
Effective February 1, 2013, the Peace River Regional District will be implementing a new ticketing system for dealing with bylaw infractions. The new system will allow the Regional District to deal with bylaw disputes at the local level rather than through the Court system. To view a copy of the consolidated bylaw, click here.
When a ticket has been issued the options are:
- Pay the ticket within 21 days and receive an early payment discount or after a fixed number of days a late payment surcharge will be added.
- Dispute the ticket within 21 days and have the case reviewed by a screening officer who may uphold the ticket, dismiss the ticket or enter into a compliance agreement for specified bylaw infractions.
- If the screening officer upholds the ticket the client has the option of now paying the fee amount or having the case heard by an adjudicator appointed by the Provincial government.
- If proceeding to adjudication, the disputant will apply in writing for an adjudicator to hear the case. A date will be scheduled, and the adjudication will be conducted at the Peace River Regional District Office in Dawson Creek. It should be noted that the disputant would not be required to personally appear at the adjudication. Representation may alternatively be made in writing or over the phone. If the ticket is upheld, the full ticket charge, surcharge and a $25.00 adjudication fee (to offset the cost of the process) will be applicable and payable.
For more information on the new Bylaw Enforcement System, contact the Peace River Regional District:
- Phone – 250-784-3200 or 1-800-670-7773
- Fax – 250-784-3201
- Email - email@example.com